4.15.2007

And the winners are....

I'd like to thank the academy... OMG I can't believe it!!! Because of all of your love and support I have won a 2006 Best of Blogs Award for the Best New Heath Blog!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! *I'm doing my happy dance now!* I just can't believe my little blog, intended as a platform for my rantings, has grown so popular. I thank you all, and dedicate this award to all of you chubby chicks of the world, working so hard to fight the fat right along side me (hehe, I feel like Camryn Manheim at the Emmys)! Check out the other blog winners too - there are some really great blogs to read.

I thought I'd take this time to recap the past year of my blogging experience. I started this blog with the intention of losing one pound for every reason I hated being fat. Well let me tell you, I apparently write too fast, lol. I've lost 33 pounds now and am already at reason 60. Oh well, weight loss doesn't have a time frame for me. I can't force it. In the past year I've had a lot of starts and stops on my journey - haven't we all? I was so gung-ho starting this blog back in Jan 2006, thinking the weight would fly off of me. Hehe, yeah right! Honestly, it took me more than six months to really get started. I started the blog at 297, within months I was up (yes up) to 315. I think I really wasn't ready to commit to losing weight when I first started. I guess I just thought that all I needed to do was write about my feeling and everything would take care of itself. So yeah, that didn't work. It was only after gaining weight that I realized I needed to re-access my plan. Once again I tried a program (WW) with little success. The more I thought about it, the more I realized a set program wasn't in the cards for me. I think I have a bit of a rebellious side, so I constantly push the limits of any diet plan I try, which usually means I end up sabotaging myself and gaining the weight back. So that brought me to my current plan - eat less, move more. So simple. No plan, no rules, no punishment, no failure. If I eat a cookie, so what, I ate a cookie. I don't beat myself up anymore over the little slips. I remind myself of my accomplishments - hey, I've lost 33 pounds!!! And I keep reminding myself of all of the reasons I hate being fat. You should do it sometime. Write out the reasons you hate being fat. Do you have 5, 10, 20, or 101 reasons you hate being fat? I think it's a good exercise to actually write them down. Makes your feeling so much more real. For me, I just need to look over my list and realize no amount of food is going to make me feel better about anything. I need to make me feel better. This list has been very motivating for me. It keeps me going when things get rough. It's helped me discover my eating triggers. I'm definitely an emotional eater - can't you tell? So instead of stuffing down my problems, as I had for years, I'm writing about them. Sure food still helps me at the end of a bad day sometimes, but it's not my only comfort anymore. I'm finding other means to comfort and care for myself. We all have pain sometimes, we all have a void sometimes, we all hurt sometimes, but food will only temporarily help. Eventually the serotonin high from the carbs wears off, eventually we go back to feeling bad again, eventually we need to eat more and more to satisfy that craving. And it just doesn't work. And we end up fat and miserable. I can't tell you what will work for you. Maybe you need structure in your plan. Maybe you need the support of a friend. Maybe you need to exercise like a fiend. Maybe you just need to write down your feelings to deal with the pain of everyday life. I don't know. We all need to search within ourselves and find out what we really need to heal our wounded souls. Only then can we start to tackle our weight. So here I am, 33 pounds down, many more to go, but very optimistic of the journey that lies ahead. Thank you so much for listening to my reasons why I hate being fat. Hopefully I can inspire or motivate you to eat less and move more and to cope with life in a different way this time around. This has been a very enlightening year, I hope this coming year is just as good. I wish all of you good luck and happiness! You can do it, you're worth it!

13 comments:

Annie said...

Congrats! You are an excellent writer and I really enjoy your blog.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I've only started reading your blog as of 3 days ago. I had already added you to my blogroll. I knew I had good taste! LOL

Honi said...

congrats on the award.. how fabulous.. i knew there was a reason I had you on my Fav links... YAY

BeepBeep said...

congratulations, you're a legend. i'm really glad that you hate being fat so much!

Kat E said...

a million congrats, that's awesome! also, you better start using that elliptical or I'm going to come steal it from you :)

Unknown said...

i'm relatively new to your blog but have enjoyed reading what i have so far... and congrats on winning the award too, that's pretty awesome... it takes a lot of courage to blog about weight loss because it ain't all wine & roses, if you know what i mean... being true to yourself is what makes you successful, and hopefull that will help others see the light as well... :o)

I'm sooOOOO done being fat said...

Congrats on the win! You are a good writer and it's subject matter a lot of people can relate to. Keep writing and keep up the good weight loss! We're rooting for you.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your site! I'm looking for 100 Fit Blogs...

100 Fit Bloggers.... Info Here

Regards!

Kate said...

Congrats on the award. I just stumbled across your blog a couple weeks ago and I love reading it!

Maya said...

I was checking the winners of Best Blogs and came across your blog.Lucky me!

I have always struggled with my weight and almost all the reasons you have mentioned till now made me think, "Oh yeah! I can totally relate with this!”

Thank you so much for sharing your insights and experiences with all. Your blog makes for a very interesting reading because of the content as well as your writing style. Reading all those reasons made me think about my weight problem and now I want do something concrete about it. I love the "Eat less and move more" idea. It is simple and easy to remember.

All the Best and I sincerely wish that we all reach our weight-loss goals soon!

Take care

Unknown said...

I've really enjoyed this blog... Congrats on your award!!
I've also struggled with my weight most of my life (the 'YoYo'). I recently started a cleansing program and WOW! I love the way I feel. I decided that a cleansing system that was endorsed by Dr. John Gray (Women are from Mars & Men are from Venus)must be a good program and worth checking out. I didn't know cleansing toxins from my system could be so rewarding.Not only do I feel much better, I continue losing weight :)
Best to all...
Deb

Click here for more info...

Health Watch Center said...

Hello Kitty,

Congratulations...well I am new here but I don't have to read your entire blog to say you are good creative writer...just the picture which you selected is enough to know about your creativity...great job...keep the good work going....

Your new reader.
Fitness Health Zone

Denise said...

Hi there,

I just found you through the Fat Fighter Blogs and wanted to say congrats on the BoB win. I was the 2005 winner for the same award and I'm very glad that my "tiara" has been passed to someone so deserving. I'll definitely be back!

Denise